We recommend using Lump Charcoal because they contain no additives or fillers. This makes for more efficient burning, less ash than charcoal briquettes and much better tasting food.
- Make a pyramid of lump charcoal in the center of the fire grate/ashpan.
- Light using fire starters or a charcoal chimney starter. WE RECOMMEND NOT TO USE LIGHTER FLUIDS.
- Leave lid open until the coals are lit and there is no black smoke coming from the coals.
- Smoke should be clear/white and there should be no flames coming off the coals.
- Starter sticks (we recommend starter sticks with no kerosene, fats, or scents) should be completely burned before you begin cooking.
- Adjust dampers to control temperature. More air flow means more heat.